Separate accidents claimed the lives to two people as severe thunderstorms rolled through the western portion of Great Smokies National Park July 5, 2012.

“We are deeply saddened by the deaths of two of our visitors,” Park Superintendent Dale Ditmanson said in a prepared release.” Our thoughts are with their families and with those who were injured.

According to National Park Service officials, Ralph Frazier, a resident of Buford, Ga., was riding his motorcycle near the Townsend Wye when he was struck on the head by a falling limb. He died at the scene.

The other accident happened in the Abrams Creek area when Rachael Burkhart, of Corryton, Tenn., was hit by a falling tree, officials said in a release. A 7-year-old girl who was swimming nearby was also injured by the tree, according to park officials.

She was unconscious and not breathing when she was pulled from the water, but others in the area performed CPR and resuscitated her at the scene, officials said. The girl was taken by helicopter to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville. The girl’s parents also sustained injuries from the tree and were transported to the same hospital, officials said. Two other visitors sustained eye and back injuries.

Meanwhile in Wyoming, Grand Teton National Park rangers assisted by a Teton Interagency helicopter rescued a New York man from the Grand Teton Thursday evening, July 5, amid stormy weather and with low cloud cover.

David Perlman, 28, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was ascending the mountain between the Headwall and Lower Saddle around 6 p.m. when several rocks broke free striking him and causing a significant injury, according to National Park Service officials.

A member of Perlman’s party continued to the Lower Saddle for help. There, two park rangers on a routine backcountry patrol were notified of the incident and immediately initiated a rescue operation. Once on scene, rangers stabilized Perlman’s injury and provided emergency medical care. With the help of other climbers in the area, rangers brought Perlman to the park’s seasonal hut on the Lower Saddle where they waited for a helicopter to evacuate him from the mountain.

Pearlman was loaded inside the helicopter and flown to Lupine Meadows where he was met by a park ambulance and transported to St. John’s Medical Center in Jackson, Wyoming, for further care. Perlman was on the first day of a two-day guided climb of the mountain when he was injured.

During this rescue, a skilled pilot was able to reach the Lower Saddle through a break in the cloud cover around 12,000 feet, which made the flight possible. If a flight was not possible for Perlman’s rescue, additional rangers would have hiked from the valley floor to the Lower Saddle to assist in caring for Perlman throughout the night.

A seasonal hut is erected for the summer months on the Grand Teton’s Lower Saddle and serves as a high altitude base camp to assist park rangers on multi-day backcountry patrols and to facilitate rescue operations in the hub of Teton climbing and mountaineering